ozynigma 53

Chainsucker (2134)
Mar 08, 2013
09:04 pm

EDIT: There is now a second ride happening on the 24th March

Ride details are here:

http://www.bsmc.asn.au

Theres a couple of us going exploring on Straddie this Sunday.

The plan is catch the 9am ferry from Cleveland.

Ride straight across the island to the beach. The adventurous part is finding out how much of the Fisherman's road is closed and getting down to the beach and back onto the road later.

Ride north along the beach with the tide going out, the sun gently beaming down and a light refreshing tail wind.

Have lunch at the pub.

Ride back along the road to the ferry with a howling afternoon tailwind (don't laugh I have done it before).

All bikes suitable for riding on firm sand are welcome. Single speeds will suit the conditions as will fat bikes. But if you let a bit of air out of your tyres most mtb's will handle a beach ride just fine.

✎ Mar 19, 2013 07:50 am  

Area54

Grim Ripper (1343)
System Manager
Mar 08, 2013
09:54 pm

Giddy up, looking forward to it.

KenZombie 14

Crankmeister (3927)
Mar 08, 2013
10:04 pm

might want to adjust the date (month) in the thread title... Feb has goooonnnnne.

Purt.

Dirt Squirt (164)
Mar 08, 2013
10:07 pm

Quote: ozynigma

The adventurous part is finding out how much of the Fisherman's road is closed and getting down to the beach and back onto the road later.

Yeah I probably wouldn't. Was over there a few months back. Only got a few hundred metres in and the water was over the bonnet.

Met up with some others at keyholes with quite heavily modified hiluxes and landcruisers. They said it was hell.

ozynigma 53

Chainsucker (2134)
Mar 09, 2013
08:14 am

Quote: Kenzo

might want to adjust the date (month) in the thread title... Feb has goooonnnnne.

Fixed, you getting off your roadie and keyboard and coming along Kenzo?

Helen

Dirt Squirt (189)
Mar 09, 2013
08:22 am

What's your speed Ozy. Will there be a B group? We're interested. Struggling to find things to ride with this weather.

ozynigma 53

Chainsucker (2134)
Mar 09, 2013
08:29 am

Quote: Helen

What's your speed Ozy. Will there be a B group? We're interested. Struggling to find things to ride with this weather.

Helen,

If I ride my SIR9 single speed there will be one group and one speed only - Slowish

You and hubby would be welcome. I understand there is a Rats ride coming up at Straddie too, this is a practice run.

Helen

Dirt Squirt (189)
Mar 09, 2013
08:33 am

Ok We're in, provided it's not torrential. It's raining at the moment.

Area54

Grim Ripper (1343)
System Manager
Mar 09, 2013
08:43 am

Quote: Purt.

The adventurous part is finding out how much of the Fisherman's road is closed and getting down to the beach and back onto the road later.

Yeah I probably wouldn't. Was over there a few months back. Only got a few hundred metres in and the water was over the bonnet.

Met up with some others at keyholes with quite heavily modified hiluxes and landcruisers. They said it was hell.

Sounds like fun, I can float my bike across Smile

KenZombie 14

Crankmeister (3927)
Mar 09, 2013
08:51 am

Have fun - I hope you guys have an awesome day out.

chriss4242

Knob Scrubber (499)
Mar 09, 2013
12:10 pm

Looking forward to it. See everyone tomorrow.

otis

Dirt Squirt (186)
Mar 09, 2013
06:14 pm

Would have loved to do this, especially with single speeds involved. Have chores though. Interested to hear a report, and hear more about the Rats ride (not sure what that is)

ozynigma 53

Chainsucker (2134)
Mar 10, 2013
07:10 am

The South Brisbane Mountain Bike Club used to the RATS, its still in their logo I think.

I am feeling lazy and thinking 18 speeds are better than 1. Still got 50 mins to make that decision before I leave.

ozynigma 53

Chainsucker (2134)
Mar 10, 2013
03:21 pm

That was an unforgettably awesome ride. On ferry home now. Full ride report to come.

Helen

Dirt Squirt (189)
Mar 10, 2013
06:08 pm

That was a great ride and thanks for organising it Ozynigma. Just when I thought the weather was causing my early retirement from MTB, it's good to get out and dirty again. Hubby's cleaning my bike as we speak.

ozynigma 53

Chainsucker (2134)
Mar 10, 2013
08:54 pm

Here is my ride report and photos.

As we left Cleveland the sun shone briefly in a good sign of what was to come. We didn't get more than a sprinkle on us all day and by the end of the day it was hot and sunny. Sunny enough to get through the sunscreen and leave me a little bit red all over.

by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/56996602@N05/]ozynigma, on Flickr

The first 12 km was the rollercoaster ride across the island with lots of big bitumen hills up and down. Then we got to the Fisherman's road and the adventure started. There must have been 50 or more deep puddles in the next 8 kms. We all got a bit wet and the bikes got submerged anywhere up to the top of the 29'er tyres or forks at times. Cycling through water with your entire pedal stroke underwater is interesting. Mostly the puddles were benign but some had a few holes and rocks and obstacles to make it interesting. Generally the middel was best to try to avoid the 4WD ruts on either side.

It wasn't all muddy puddles though, we stopped for a break at this beautiful lake

Then we cut across to the beach south of Point Lookout and rode along it for a few kms before stopping for lunch at the Port Lookout pub. My chosen steed for the day was the Air9 rigid with semi slick 2.1 tyres at 25psi front and 30psi rear. I didn't change the pressures for the road, soft sand or hard beach sand. I wimped out on going single speed and really enjoyed running the 2x9 (26/40 chainrings I think).

After lunch we headed down the road to the caravan park before hitting the beach just north of Adder Rock. We then enjoyed a wonderful ride down the beach at 20 - 25km/hr with a tailwind assist. The sand was firm and pedalling was effortless. We must have done about 5 to 10km north to Amity Point.

I then realised I only had 35 mins to make the 3pm ferry and get home at half past like I told my wife. So I split off the group and hammered the last 15km of bitumen back to Dunwich. I didn't make 3pm by 7 mins but I made the ferry by 3 mins.

This was one of those once in a lifetime rides that will never be forgotten. The contrast between riding to Amity Point on firm sand with a tailwind to previous rides in the other direction on softer sand with a headwind was astounding. This ride fully lived up to my original post.

PS I hear the RATS version of this ride is on the 24th March 2013. They will probably go soft and miss all the big puddles though Wink

coaster 510

Mad Skillz (936)
Mar 17, 2013
03:23 pm

PS I hear the RATS version of this ride is on the 24th March 2013. They will probably go soft and miss all the big puddles though Wink

Anyone know if the Rats ride is likely for 24/3, nothing I can see on thier website yet. My old bike is due for a new drivetrain sometime soon, perfect timing to get this in before I put it on.

flyboy 22

Grim Ripper (1868)
Mar 17, 2013
03:48 pm

Quote: coaster

Anyone know if the Rats ride is likely for 24/3, nothing I can see on thier website yet. My old bike is due for a new drivetrain sometime soon, perfect timing to get this in before I put it on.

It is on as far as I have been told. Will probably be up on their homepage soon.

Some nice long group rides shaping up for next weekend. Perfect 24hr training?

coaster 510

Mad Skillz (936)
Mar 17, 2013
05:47 pm

Quote: flyboy

Quote: coaster

It is on as far as I have been told. Will probably be up on their homepage soon.

Some nice long group rides shaping up for next weekend. Perfect 24hr training?

Yea I was thinking of Neilius's ride on Sat but too many K's for I think (Don't want to find out at the 50k mark) and timing is good for Sun beach ride

becca

Mad Skillz (662)
Mar 17, 2013
05:54 pm

Is the Straddie ride open to non Rats members as well as I'v never been riding over there before?