Stumpster 49

Noob (2)
Feb 19, 2015
07:53 pm

Hi all, I am only new to m/biking and I have to get a hydration pack, any recommendations on good and bad and size. Cheers stumpy

caspino

Dirt Squirt (189)
Feb 19, 2015
07:55 pm

hey, 2 litres minimum, go to anaconda they are cheap and reasonable make sure theres room for tubes tools etc.

Old Man Pivot 50

Grim Ripper (1301)
Feb 19, 2015
08:33 pm

I've got one of these, http://shop.camelbak.com/charge-10-lr/d/1091_cl_4392 It's good because I have quick access to tools and my phone without having to take the damn pack off. Downside is all the crap inside falls to the bottom. I rate it better than a standard up-and-down-your-back style pack. It takes 2 litres of water.

StealthMTB

Noob (11)
Feb 19, 2015
09:32 pm

I went with a Camelbak Volt13 3L. Has served me great so far and plenty of room for now and in the future when longer rides are on the cards. I would definitely check out Anaconda as mentioned. I got mine for around $130 down from $189 during their sales recently. One thing i would make mention that ive found kind of annoying is not being able to zip/unzip easily one handed, just something to think about when checking them out. Also the new design lower lumber reservoir is great too.

ozynigma 51

Chainsucker (2134)
Feb 20, 2015
04:42 am

Quote: Stumpster

Hi all, I am only new to m/biking and I have to get a hydration pack, any recommendations on good and bad and size. Cheers stumpy

How long are your rides? Do you have a water bottle? Are you running out of water?

If you are new to the sport and only doing short rides I would go and get a cheap one from Anaconda to start with. Say 1.5 to 2 litre capacity.

For longer rides I have found the 3 litre camelbaks to be very good. I have a Mule which has a fair bit of storage space for tools and food and rain jacket etc. The camelbaks have good quality bladders and mouthpieces. You can always put a camelbak bladder into a cheap no name hydration pack in the future.

The other brand to check out is Deuter who have packs that sit clear of your back for air flow and cooling. Anaconda don't seem to sell these any more and I am not sure who does in Australia now. Deuter used to sell their bladders separately to their packs to so be careful when comparing prices.

LeAngel

Mad Skillz (860)
Developer
Feb 20, 2015
06:01 am

We just brought the new Camelbak Mule, great buy and are very happy with it. You can expand it eough to stuff in a jacket and other clothes or you can pull the tabs tightly closed.

VoodooSS

Grim Ripper (1261)
Feb 20, 2015
07:42 am

I have a camel back octane 18x . Great pack but I also have a full range of bladder sizes so can mix and match. If you are new just go cheap because you will crash and snap the buckles for a while... Replace these as you go with Velcro . Downside to the cheap ones are the bite valves tend to leak on your leg. You will likely carry more stuff if you're newish than most of us carry now... Snacks, gels, spares, tools, pump, first aid, wind proof. Later you realise you don't need some things. Good luck

Omad

Knob Scrubber (360)
Feb 20, 2015
07:44 am

Dakine Or Camelback. Can't go wrong with either. I'm a big fan of my Dakine Nomad.

Stumpster 49

Noob (2)
Feb 20, 2015
12:58 pm

Thanks for all your replies , I am going to go to Anaconda and have a look, camel back seems to be very popular, at least 2ltr I think with storage, cheers guys

Nole 64

Mad Skillz (889)
Feb 20, 2015
02:28 pm

Lots of good packs out there, but I'm yet to see any with a bladder and bite valve better than Camelbak.

gards63 54

Dirt Squirt (113)
Feb 20, 2015
08:04 pm

http://www.99bikes.com.au/hydration-bag-camelbak-charge-10lr-2l-black I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago to take to NZ. A good in-between size and clever water storage system, and location. Well priced.

GEorgeY

Noob (1)
Apr 21, 2017
02:35 pm

Hey,

I have a set of rules when choosing my hydration pack:

- 2 liters minimum

- a bottle pocket at the front

- a smartphone pocket

- comfortable access to the tube. I don't like stopping to have a sip

My current one is Camelbak HydroBak (http://campingandcamping.com/best-hydration-packs-reviews-buyers-guide/#3_Camelbak_HydroBak_50_oz_Hydration_Pack)

All the best