vatorat 44

Noob (25)
Mar 09, 2015
03:41 pm

has any one here found any benifits or problems with weight training and mtbing. not talking body building just one day a week weight training?

Rich

Dirt Squirt (154)
Mar 09, 2015
04:23 pm

Depends on what your aims and timeframes are but I'd suggest once a week without a goal in mind prob won't make much of a difference as a complementary exercise regime.

And TBH unless there is something in particular you are looking to work on, or remedial work for exercise, I dont know what weights would help with. Don't get me wrong, as I do it for the former, not the latter.

I'm inclined to say a fitness regime of other exercise would prob be more beneficial depending on what you ride and current level of strength and fitness, e.g. jogging interspersed with say 15-20 bodyweight exercises every 500m-1km. e.g. bodyweight squats, pushups, situps or burpees (which are essentially all 3 rolled into 1 so v.effective).

Or 100 burpees, proper ones, in 5mins. If you can do that you will be fit and that will help mtb, guaranteed.

Darb

Mad Skillz (719)
Mar 09, 2015
05:23 pm

check this site out http://www.bikejames.com/

lots of good stuff for mountain biking

ozynigma 52

Chainsucker (2134)
Mar 10, 2015
05:57 pm

Quote: Darb

check this site out http://www.bikejames.com/

lots of good stuff for mountain biking

Ditto on bikejames, I have his program.

In summary a bit of targetted weight training can help rather than hinder your mountain biking.

The single best exercise is the deadlift (single leg variation if you can manage it). Do a few deadlifts, pick a higher gear, get out of the saddle and smash the climbs.

You should also work on upper back as a lot of people over emphasise chest and get unbalanced strength. Pulling strength is more important for mtb than pushing strength.

vatorat 44

Noob (25)
Mar 10, 2015
06:26 pm

at the moment i do the "big 3" bench press, squat and deadlift. all above my body weight by about 20%. feeling i'm covering most movements. i do throw in chin ups and lat pull downs. just seeing what everyone was doing

VoodooSS

Grim Ripper (1263)
Mar 10, 2015
07:12 pm

I know next to nothing about this and am about to prove my point.

I believe there is little point in doing big weights like you are. You are better to do little weights but high numbers and high reps. this works your muscles in a different way and might be more cycling useful.

Try dead lifts around 25 - 30 kg.. 6 or so reps of 15 lifts.

Squats 5 reps of 10 but hold each squat down for 10 seconds.

Did I prove I lknow nothing about this?

Rich

Dirt Squirt (154)
Mar 10, 2015
08:05 pm

I think it depends on your base strength/fitness, I was working out hard (for me) for a year; crossfit 4 times a week, mobility and 5x5 strength program on the side, 3 times a week. Not that great but I've never been 'fitter' or stronger, but on the mtb still got my ass handed to me on long sustained sprints, grinds and overall endurance. Im not sure more strength training would have helped? Imo a baseline level of conditioning and balanced strength and mobility is a good start. On the plus side conditioning is a lot faster to obtain than strength. Darb can walk us through some of James' mtb-specific workouts?

NoMeansDonuts 44

Gumby (56)
Mar 11, 2015
01:15 pm

There is a ton of great stuff on bikejames.com but for me best thing is the performance wheel - have a look here:

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/mtb-performance-wheel-2/

Imho it really nails the key point of training - first work out the place/places you suck the hardest at and work to improve them. Strength training might just be the magic ingredient which makes a huge difference for you.... or it might make no difference at all. Depends on where you're at.

ozynigma 52

Chainsucker (2134)
Mar 14, 2015
09:39 am

Quote: vatorat

at the moment i do the "big 3" bench press, squat and deadlift. all above my body weight by about 20%. feeling i'm covering most movements. i do throw in chin ups and lat pull downs. just seeing what everyone was doing

It sounds like you already do more strength training than most casual mtb'ers.

I would suggest working on some fo the variations of the squat and deadlift.

Work on the asymetric deadlifts like single leg and uneven stance. Work on the top half of your squats with goblet squats.

The chin ups and horizontal pull ups are good for pulling your bars towards you on the bike.

Here is James latest blog post which you might find relevant.

http://www.bikejames.com/strength/how-to-ensure-your-success-by-focusing-on-the-right-set-and-rep-ranges-for-your-goals/

williehart

Noob (1)
Nov 02, 2017
06:56 am

Thanx a lot for these tips described here. Very interesting

✎ Nov 02, 2017 06:58 am