zed!

Noob (2)
Jul 05, 2016
01:13 pm

I've just started riding some of the Kalamunda trails (in WA) and love it, although it's highlighted the fact that I probably need to replace my 2003 Giant Rainer hardtail which is basically knackered. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for though, the amount I seem to come off, I'm guessing I don't really want a carbon frame. I like the look of the Giant Trance (I like the geometry) and can get a 2015 Trance 1 for $2800 new. Is that a good bike and good price? My budget is $2.5k so can't really go above $2800. I raced BMXs as a teenager and really enjoyed some of the jumping on the trails, so that's the kind of MTB stuff I want to do as opposed to just cruising on trails. Appreciate some advice on what bikes to look for.

mtbhurt 45

Gumby (86)
Jul 06, 2016
08:30 am

Hi zed,

My short answer is that Trance is great buying at that price. Looking at the specs, it has dual position Revelations up front, Monarch RT3 shock, decent drive train and brakes, and the rear wheel has DT Swiss hub and internals. Add to that the peace of mind of a lifetime frame warranty and you'd be hard pushed to find a better deal out there. You can find an old review here, which is a pretty objective opinion.

I've got a 2015 Trance Advanced 2 and it's a great all-rounder for general trail riding - my fork and shock are lower spec than that of the Trance 1, so I'd have no doubt that a Trance 1 would be an even better ride. Most of my local trails are more XC/Trail oriented and I'm no spring chicken either, so the Trance is a good match on both counts.

That said, you'll probably have the brand snobs rolling their eyes at a Giant, as they're probably viewed as the Commodore/Falcon/Camry of the mtb world, although I've seen just as much online derision for the sexy and expensive boutique brands as well. Before you commit to buy though, check out the competition from the likes of Scott, Norco, Trek and so on; at least have a test ride of their equivalent bikes to get a feel for the differences in how each bike rides and pedals. Brands aside, your budget is going to allow for a fairly decent bike regardless - good luck choosing!

zed!

Noob (2)
Jul 06, 2016
12:30 pm

Quote: mtbhurt

Hi zed,

My short answer is that Trance is great buying at that price. Looking at the specs, it has dual position Revelations up front, Monarch RT3 shock, decent drive train and brakes, and the rear wheel has DT Swiss hub and internals. Add to that the peace of mind of a lifetime frame warranty and you'd be hard pushed to find a better deal out there. You can find an old review here, which is a pretty objective opinion.

I've got a 2015 Trance Advanced 2 and it's a great all-rounder for general trail riding - my fork and shock are lower spec than that of the Trance 1, so I'd have no doubt that a Trance 1 would be an even better ride. Most of my local trails are more XC/Trail oriented and I'm no spring chicken either, so the Trance is a good match on both counts.

That said, you'll probably have the brand snobs rolling their eyes at a Giant, as they're probably viewed as the Commodore/Falcon/Camry of the mtb world, although I've seen just as much online derision for the sexy and expensive boutique brands as well. Before you commit to buy though, check out the competition from the likes of Scott, Norco, Trek and so on; at least have a test ride of their equivalent bikes to get a feel for the differences in how each bike rides and pedals. Brands aside, your budget is going to allow for a fairly decent bike regardless - good luck choosing!

Hey mate thanks for the reply. I know what you mean re Giant lol but I'm not that bothered about the name as long as it does the job and it's at the right price. I've trawled the net and am yet to find a bad review of the trance from multiple credible MTB sites, so I'm sure I will be happy with it. Smile The Trance Advances is carbon yeah?

mtbhurt 45

Gumby (86)
Jul 06, 2016
10:55 pm

Yep the Trance Advanced is carbon, but to be honest if I knew what I know now, I would have gone for the Trance 1 over the Trance Advanced 2. Only the front triangle is carbon, the rear is the same on both bikes. The shock, fork and wheelset on the Trance 1 are superior spec and it would cost me about the same as what I paid for my bike to upgrade to them!

I still enjoy riding it though, as will you on yours; they are a great bike. My only criticism is with the stock tyres - the Nobby Nics feel like they lack sidewall support, and squirm about a bit when cornering. No big deal though, just ride hard and wear them out, and then go for something more aggressive.

Jack Regan

Noob (15)
Sep 01, 2016
01:47 pm

hey i wanting to sell my 2015 lapierre zesty tr529 i would be able to give this beast away to you for $2700

its a great bike and is very capable, im not able to find the time to ride tracks that much anymore and the old man cant ride with me anymore due to spinal problems.

the bike is great and although the frame is carbon it very strong and has taken a beating from me

ive always had them bike stored in the garage undercover and always clean a lubed up...

the back swing arm it metal not carbon fiber

will be sad to see it go as ive only owned it for about 5 months and bought it as a demo but i just dont ride it for what its meant for.

if you want some pictures of the bike send me a message at 0490225152 ,

cheers

DanielFeeron 34

Noob (1)
Sep 13, 2016
05:16 am
Hi, zed, I have a Diamondback and that was a great decision for me to buy it. A year ago I've paid $2000 for it, but the problem I faced with was the cloth size, which was more suitable for my previous bike. So i have paid more for the new shorts and shoes. That's why i strongly recommend you do not buy any bike until you've checked it for size. Here are a few tips that will probably help you. http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear/article/how-to-choose-a-mountain-bike-39886/ http://bestadviser.net/mountain-bikes/top-mountain-bikes-helmets-and-clothing-review/

sports_adventure 44

Noob (2)
Sep 18, 2016
10:00 pm

Hi zed...great to hear you are getting back into mtb. Understand you would be doing it a bit tough on the the Rainer.

Agree with mtbhurt on the Trance for your style of riding as well as his comments on Giant bikes. Personally I've ridden a swag of mtb's over the last 20 or so years (mainly xc & trail bikes) and value for money cannot beat Giant.

Recommend test riding the Trance or any bike before you buy...small change in geometry between different sizes, models or brands can mean the difference between you absolutely smoking the trails or feeling as flat as...cheers.