Jack Regan

Noob (17)
Jan 10, 2017
08:58 pm

hi all, i have a 2012 trek slash 8 that i have upgraded a fair bit and one of the main things i haven't upgraded is the suspension. my fox talas 36mm forks are great but are currently leaking and i believe that my rear shock which is a fox drcv rp2, is blown. also a great shock acts similar to a coil shocks. Im wondering if i should have them repaired or look at some near fox suspension. also is there anyway i could go to 180mm travel somehow or will that mess with the geometry. ill try to post a picture of my bike aswell. also im running super tacky maxxis minion dhf tires. should i be running high psi because they feels really slow. cheers Smile15726579_1837049063234247_5680276587322844593_n.jpg

mtbhurt 46

Gumby (86)
Jan 11, 2017
05:49 am

Hey Jack, I'm no expert but if you've been happy with the fork and shock thus far, getting them serviced and/or repaired will be cheaper than replacement and make your ride feel like a new bike again. I'd suggest contacting Cyclinic or NS Dynamics (both Brisbane based suspension experts) and talk to them about your options. You might even be able to upgrade the fork internals.

Going to a 180mm fork will mess with the geometry as you say - might make going up hill more of a challenge. Tyres perform better at lower pressures - what do you run them at presently? Are they set up tubeless?

Jack Regan

Noob (17)
Jan 13, 2017
09:18 am

hi thanks for the quick reply i am more of a downhill rider and i dont usually go up hill so if i were to get 180mm forks would i be able to run the softer with a bit of sag and it wouldnt mess with the goemetry. also i usually run about 40 psi in my rear tyre and about 35 in the front also it feels really slow when riding and no i run tube although i want to go tubless soon cheers

Rich

Dirt Squirt (154)
Jan 19, 2017
10:56 pm

Hey Jack, a few things come to mind. For the forks it used to be common to convert talas to float internals, and occasionally coil. Maybe call nsd to discuss, they/you might be able to lengthen 5-10mm in the process. Out back, that shock is drcv with special mounting. You can fit a normal shock with modifications to the mountings, hardware and shocks- check singletracks and mtbr for details. Yes it is a PITA and some shocks won't fit so find one that has been done before. Whether servicing vs replacement is economical comes down to getting all the information at hand and making the best call to you can. That said, for an older bike it rarely makes sense to over capitalise with expensive forks and shocks, but each to their own. Oh yeah, those pressures seem way high, how accurate is your pressure gauge? I'd suggest change to tubeless unless u really love tubes, then drop some air out e.g 5psi, from each and see how it feels. Ask the crew at ftr or elsewhere suggested minion pressures for your tyre size and carcass (guessing they'll say 25fr/27rr), but that will give u a ballpark idea of what works.

Jack Regan

Noob (17)
Jan 22, 2017
12:03 am

thanks for the quick reply, im thinking about changing the rear shock to a fox downhill shock and i might look into some 180mm fox forks, all though if i can get an extra 10mm out of the talas ill keep them