bigfella 35

Gumby (80)
Feb 13, 2017
02:34 pm

Hi all.

Been a while since I've been here, as well as ridden. I once had a Kona Hoss, but some knob liked it better than I did. Question for the brains trust is, what sort of clydesdale bikes are out there now? I'm 196cm tall (6'5") and 130+ kg. Wanting to get something to go riding on again that won't bend as soon as I get out of the saddle to ride up a hill. Ideas for now, purchasing when the minister for law and finance releases funds.

Cheers,

Craig.

Neo2020

Noob (32)
Feb 13, 2017
05:17 pm

G'day Craig,

Whether you are riding fire trails, single trails or rougher, steeper stuff, I'd say that you are too heavy for the ideal bike. I would suggest looking at the Salsa, Surly and Somafab web sites and look for that steel bike you'd be mad to ever sell. One that can do a few cool things and be ridden to work. Email them and ask them about your dimensions and weight. There are manufacturer forums on mtbr as well as a clyde forum where owners give pictures and insight.

Is this part of a weight loss initiative? What does the ideal future ride for you look like?

bigfella 35

Gumby (80)
Feb 13, 2017
06:14 pm

I'm just after a basic hard tail trail bike that can take a beating. Anything cheap and I bend it, mainly from the torque in the pedals. Won't be a commuter or anything, it'll be just for riding around Daisy again, or anywhere up the Sunny coast when we eventually move up there. The Hoss was perfect, but they don't appear to be made anymore.

Yes, part of the whole weight loss stay fit campaign, but more to do with the fact that I miss riding! Doesn't matter how much I lose, I'll always be triple figures!

Hungry Stu 46

Mad Skillz (571)
Feb 15, 2017
11:40 am

bigfella,

What about an On-One Inbred 29'er frame. They go up to a 21". Chromoly steel frame. My mate has one. It's basic, but he loves it and they can be sourced cheap.

creaky

Knob Scrubber (431)
Feb 15, 2017
12:12 pm

Hardtail is probably the way to go.

What riding style / areas ?

What is your budget for frame or full bike ?

You'll want some decent wheels at 130kegs too.

Stu - don't think the 21" inbred will be long enough for 6'5".

✎ Feb 15, 2017 12:14 pm  

Neo2020

Noob (32)
Feb 15, 2017
06:27 pm

It sounds like a 120mm hard tail might be the go. There are quite a few out there. Canfield Brothers make one.

bigfella 35

Gumby (80)
Feb 15, 2017
07:34 pm

Cheers all. As before, just your standard xc trail riding, no dh, no jumping or anything. Just need something that'll handle the weight, torque and the odd whoah-boy down a hill.

No real budget at the moment, just sussing out what makes/models are out there so I have a starting point to do some looking. Being back at uni has me with limited funds, so may need to wait another 12 months when the degree is done.