Comedian

Noob (10)
Sep 05, 2017
02:08 pm

I've got a 11 yo who just got his first MTB. I'm open to suggestions for where we could possibly go for a little dirt practice.. but I've got no ideas other than riding the firetrails at Bunya. I think Gap Creek might be a little hilly for a first timer.

Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to this? Are they any regular organised kids rides? Thanks!

fat_trax 44

Gumby (94)
Sep 07, 2017
07:41 pm

Hey Comedian

The pump track along Samford Road (heading from Ferny Grove Station toward Samford, last car park on the right before climbing the hill - Lomandra Rd Picnic Area) in Ironbark Gully is your place. Loads of kids that age (and much older folk still trying to be kids) ride here. Plenty of little trails heading outbound from here and well old enough to climb out to the top of Kombi trail for a nice long windy route back down.

✎ Sep 07, 2017 07:44 pm  

Comedian

Noob (10)
Sep 11, 2017
07:20 am

Thank you! I'll try and give it a go next weekend. Once you get to the top of Combi what's the best way back down? Can you take Bandicoot to the PMG fire road and follow that back to the park?

fat_trax 44

Gumby (94)
Sep 11, 2017
10:13 pm

No, you want to come down Kombi (not up), head up Lomandra Rd (Faux 3 sisters), up Three Ways & Sewer (3 sisters) and then down Kombi. Let him have some fun down in the skills park a couple of times (days) though - plenty of time to be spend here getting your bearings and skills dialed for a youngster. It's a bit of a climb up to Kombi but can push a bit - the down will make up for it aplenty. Go mid / late afternoon to avoid the testosterone down Kombi and skills park. Enyoy

btw. download trailforks mobile app on your phone - its free with loads of trail info & gps location in case losing your bearings.

✎ Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm  

Comedian

Noob (10)
Sep 26, 2017
02:29 pm

Quote: fat_trax

No, you want to come down Kombi (not up), head up Lomandra Rd (Faux 3 sisters), up Three Ways & Sewer (3 sisters) and then down Kombi. Let him have some fun down in the skills park a couple of times (days) though - plenty of time to be spend here getting your bearings and skills dialed for a youngster. It's a bit of a climb up to Kombi but can push a bit - the down will make up for it aplenty. Go mid / late afternoon to avoid the testosterone down Kombi and skills park. Enyoy

btw. download trailforks mobile app on your phone - its free with loads of trail info & gps location in case losing your bearings.

Thank you so much for the tip on Trailforks! That's an awesome app. I've also downloaded open street maps for my garmin. So far all I've managed is a little ride around Bunya with him but he had a great time. I might try ironbark on the weekend.

void 41

Knob Scrubber (357)
Oct 03, 2017
02:03 pm

Quote: Comedian

I've got a 11 yo who just got his first MTB. I'm open to suggestions for where we could possibly go for a little dirt practice.. but I've got no ideas other than riding the firetrails at Bunya. I think Gap Creek might be a little hilly for a first timer.

Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to this? Are they any regular organised kids rides? Thanks!

Gap Creek is probably a better choice for a beginner rider. Try Rocket Frog, Skink link and possibly Dingo.

Try to avoid fire roads until the kids understand the damage that a water bar can do.

The skills park at Ironbark is also great for the kids.

Comedian

Noob (10)
Oct 03, 2017
02:26 pm

Quote: void

Gap Creek is probably a better choice for a beginner rider. Try Rocket Frog, Skink link and possibly Dingo.

Try to avoid fire roads until the kids understand the damage that a water bar can do.

The skills park at Ironbark is also great for the kids.

On the weekend I took him to Daisy. We did Turning Japanese and Glossy Black. He had a hoot.. huge grin when we got back to the car.

He managed well on TJ. He only had to stop for the bigger logs. I agree that he'd be fine on Rocket Frog at Gap Creek. My issue is how do I get him to the top of the climb? He's a little guy, with a big bike. His MTB probably weighs 12kg (giant 27.5).. which would be 1/4 of his weight. Laugh Out Loud

void 41

Knob Scrubber (357)
Oct 09, 2017
07:30 pm

He managed well on TJ. He only had to stop for the bigger logs. I agree that he'd be fine on Rocket Frog at Gap Creek. My issue is how do I get him to the top of the climb? He's a little guy, with a big bike. His MTB probably weighs 12kg (giant 27.5).. which would be 1/4 of his weight. Laugh Out Loud

Quail trail (fire road) will get you to the top.. well that is the way that I take by 7yr and 9yr olds up... there are a few place that they get off and push..

alternatively go up Dingo...